Tibialis Anterior Isometric
- Type of exercise: Isometric
- Muscles used: Tibialis Anterior. Extensor digitorum longus, extensor hallucis longus
- Good for: Developing strength, reducing foot slap,
- When to use during rehab: Early stages
This exercise will require something for your patient to sit on, such as an exercise bench or chair if they’re at home. You’ll also need an exercise band that has been anchored to a heavy object.
- Start by anchoring the exercise band to a weight.
- Then have your patient sit on the bench and place the exercise band around their foot.
- Next, have them sit back so there is slight tension against the band.
- Ask the patient to pull their foot back against the rubber band, holding the position for between 15-30 seconds.
- If you want to focus on the long extensor muscles, then move the band down the foot, around the toes, and repeat the exercise in the same manner.